Glitter Template

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Airplane, Airplane, Sorry I'm Late



With the woes of packing and saying goodbye to loved possessions behind me, I was ready to face the only thing worrying me. My 35 minute connection in Chicago. I upgraded my seat on my flight from SLC for $39 to be closer to the front. That way I could get off faster and book it to the next flight. As luck would have it, there was no room for my carry on in the overhead bin. So along with many others, my bag was gate checked. Then to add to it the plane took off late. 

I was one of the first off the plane, but one of the last to get my bag. Then I scurried to the other side of the airport, sending up prayers the entire way. Finally I arrived at the gate, just as they closed the door. Sweaty and breathless I asked "Is this the flight to Munich?" I was the last one on board and again had to have my bag checked, this time all the way to Luxembourg. This had me a bit worried because I had packed a weeks worth of clothing in my carry on, thinking my checked bag probably wouldn't make the connection. Now if my luggage was lost, I had nothing. 

It was a relief to get off the plane in Germany. I hadn't been able to sleep a wink and knew that in just a couple more hours I would get to meet my new home and family for the next year. The signs for my next gate were very confusing and I ended up circling around and around the Munich airport. After my third loop I decided to venture down an abandoned hallway, and that is where I found my way to the next gate. After passing through customs, I found my gate in no time. I went to board my final flight, and was told they couldn't find my luggage. While I hadn't been hoping for this, it wasn't too big of a surprise. Yet, I prayed that somehow my bags would make it.
When I got to Luxembourg I saw the baggage claim and felt that I should wait and see if my luggage came through. Lo and behold… it did!! I was so relieved to have both my bags and finally be done flying. It was a short drive from the airport to my new home. It was exciting to see it all for the first time and to meet everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment